Full Time, Competitive Salary plus benefits (25 days holiday, Pension, Cycle to Work Scheme)
Ecomar propulsion are an award-winning small company with a big vision! We are on a mission to reduce maritime greenhouse gas emissions by 10 million tonnes within 10 years.
Using a team of highly skilled engineers and technical experts, we research, develop and produce high performance electric and hybrid hydrogen marine propulsion systems. Winner of the Best Marine Propulsion Systems Manufacturer 2022, Ecomar have already been recognised as an SME which demonstrates an exemplary approach to research, design and manufacture. They are also proud to have reached the finals of the Maritime UK Diversity Champion awards 2022.
With the reduction of emissions and safeguarding of the oceans always in mind, Ecomar is playing it’s part in Europe’s ambition to be climate neutral by 2050, as well as fast becoming a recognised Global player in Green Marine.
We are seeking a passionate, high performing Mechanical Design Engineer for a disruptive research, development, and manufacturing company for the clean marine propulsion sector. Our present team of systems, electrical, mechanical, and manufacturing engineers is growing rapidly.
This new role of Mechanical Design Engineer will be key in working with the engineering team to ensure the success of R&D, design and manufacturing projects through planning to timely and on-cost completion. You will work with a multi-skilled team, alongside educational institutions with many opportunities for development, learning and progression.
The key skills and qualities of Mechanical Design Engineer are:
- Developing design concepts from a blank sheet of paper.
- Working with other design engineers to ensure design integration.
- Progressing designs from a concept level to a high quality, detailed design.
- Creating high quality manufacturing drawings from part and assembly designs.
- Contributing to and leading DFM / cost-out design optimisation processes.
- Using CAD tools (Solidworks Simulation, Solidworks Flow Simulation, etc.) to optimise designs for performance, cost and reliability.
- Verifying designs to ensure they meet all requirements in applicable design specifications.
- Verifying mechanical design outputs from other engineers.
- Leading design reviews with customers and internal business stakeholders.
- Assisting in the environmental life-cycle assessment of developed products.
- Assisting in the performance and documentation of product validation exercises (validation analyses, compliance matrices etc).
- Assisting in the creation of product user-documentation etc.
- Assisting in the creation of product manufacturing plans.
- Providing feedback to project management regarding sub-task progress and time estimations.
- Working to Ecomar Propulsion’s design and verification processes.
The key skills and qualities of the Mechanical Design Engineer are:
- Degree qualification or extensive experience in mechanical engineering or product design (or equivalent).
- 1-3 years’ experience in marine, automotive, manufacturing or EV industry or similar.
- Motivated self-starter, strong time management, critical thinker, organised project management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Strong sense of reasoning to match engineering outcomes with commercial requirements.
- Ability to create top-level design concepts that overcome difficult engineering problems.
- Excellent skills realising design concepts using Solidworks CAD software.
- Knowledge and experience of varied materials and manufacturing methods including casting, machining, fabrication and moulding.
- Knowledge and experience of GD&T.
- Strong mechanical drafting skills.
- Hands-on prototyping, assembly, and prototype part reworking skills.
- Experience in using FEA to analyse structural suitability of designed parts and assemblies.
- Experience in creating designs optimised for manufacture (DFM).
- Understanding of material selection for marine environments.
- Experience of working to a quality management system (e.g. ISO9001).
- Interest in marine engineering.
- Experience of operating boats.
- Keen interest in environmental sustainability.
- Experience in using CFD for thermal and flow analysis.
- Experience of integrating cabling and piping into mechanical designs.
- Experience of designing electromechanical parts (bus bars, insulator plates etc).
- Experience of designing hydraulic systems and integrating hydraulic components.
- Experience working with Solidworks PDM.
- Experience of performing life-cycle assessment to investigate the environmental impact of the proposed design.
If you think you could be a good fit for this position then please send your CV to Rachel Keen (email@example.com).
No agencies please.